Wednesday 1 March 2023

What Does Matthew 11:28-30 Mean?

Matthew 11:28-30 says, “Are you weary, carrying a heavy burden? Come to me. I will refresh your life, for I am your oasis. ²⁹Simply join your life with mine. Learn my ways and you’ll discover that I’m gentle, humble, easy to please. You will find refreshment and rest in me. ³⁰For all that I require of you will be pleasant and easy to bear.” TPT.  I love the way The Passion Translation puts these verses.

Come unto me all ye that labour and are very laden and I will give you rest. This is a very popular saying from our Lord Jesus. What the Holy Spirit revealed to me is that aside from whatever Jesus was addressing at the moment, whatever He said addresses other things directly and not indirectly as many think. And Matthew 11:28-30 is no exception.


Come unto me all that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. This was an altar call to those who want to give their lives to Jesus. Now, the burden everyone carried came about from the sinful nature we were all born with. But there is more to it. the burden also signifies the entire existence of the person, such as the responsibilities the person carries, like their job, the identity of the person and everything that is attached to and makes up the person, in a way that wouldn't have existed if the person never existed. All these are a heavy burden and make us weary because they had their foundation in sin.

Jesus said He will give anyone who comes to Him rest. What this means is that anyone who comes to Him by giving their life to Him, He will give them a brand new life, and this life is a life of rest.

What it means is that you drop your life and become one with Jesus (ref. 2 Corinthians 5:17). This was what Jesus meant when He said we should take His yoke, which is to learn from Him, because as we know Him we know ourselves, as He Himself has become our life. And we know Him through the meditation of the word.

So, since we have picked up a brand new life, we are no longer meant to direct our lives, but of He who is now our life to lead and direct us through the Holy Spirit.

The very first thing we are to do when we receive the Spirit of the Lord Jesus or become born again is to ask Him what He wants us to do. It is only then that we find our true purpose of existence. He tells us what to do, which includes our job, and everything that has to do with our existence.

All we were ends including our jobs, schooling and every other thing. That doesn't mean we just go ahead and quit. We are to allow Him to lead us to where we are to go, and if He asks us to quit our job, then go ahead, but if He asks us to continue, then we continue. Whatever decision He asks us to take, it can never lead to being idle. And whatever we are meant to do works for our good.

As a friend of mine told me, we are to trust the Lord blindly. What this means is we are to trust the Lord to the very end, by believing that whatever He tells us is for our good because knows us more than we know ourselves, and He knows the end from the beginning.


Why not accept Jesus today if you haven’t. Pray out loud, “Jesus, I confess that You are my Lord and Saviour. I believe in my heart that God raised You from the dead. By faith in Your Word, I receive salvation now. Thank You for saving me!” Congratulations, you’re born again, you are now brand new!

                                          

Log on next time.

 

For prayers and comments, send them to the comment section below.

 

GOD BLESS YOU.

 

PLEASE LIKE AND FOLLOW MY BLOG

 

                                                                                                                 

Unless otherwise stated, the following scriptures are gotten from New King James Version (NKJV)

No comments: